First Pan-Armenian International Congress of Geriatrics
The First Pan-Armenian International Congress of Geriatrics was held on 28-29 September, 2018 at Erebouni Plaza Buziness Center, Yerevan, Armenia. It was conducted by the “Association of Healthcare and Assistance to Older People” NGO in partnership with the United Nations Population Fund Armenia. This time our motto was “Promoting Healthy Aging”.
This scientific meeting had a multidisciplinary approach to encourage sharing of scientific knowledge and experience about special features of diseases in the elderly, to encourage the cooperation between doctors, nurses and other healthcare specialists to meet the healthcare needs of older patients.
Goals of the Congress were:
- Raise awareness on Geriatrics and Gerontology. Represent the importance and key role of geriatric medicine in aging society.
- Introduce to primary care physicians treatment and management strategies for patients with comorbid diseases.
- Sharing of scientific knowledge and experience about age-related diseases, states and treatment approaches.
- Foster the cooperation and experience exchange between specialists from different countries in the field of geriatrics.
- Create a network of academic associations (primary partners), local and international physicians.
- Identify key strategies for improving the quality of treatment.
- Learn and discuss key news and challenges with senior level speakers.
- Identify knowledge gaps that need to be filled.
- Promote participants' self assess and reflection on their own practice.
- Provide CME credits contributing to professional development and revalidation evidence.
The congress focused on age-related diseases and their treatment approaches. It included key-note speaker sessions, interactive panel discussions and question & answer sessions. Within the frameworks of the Congress an Abstract Journal was published and given to all participants in a package with a leaflet, pen and a notepad.
Arthur Torosyan, founder and president of the Association, Tsovinar Harutyunyan, UNFPA Assistant Representative and Zaruhi Batoyan, Deputy Minister of Labor and Social Affairs greeted the participants of the congress. They spoke about the actuality of the Congress topic and highlighted that the development of geriatrics in Armenia is of paramount importance as our country is among the countries with ageing population.
The keynote speakers were our guests from Russia and Great Britain: Seda Boghossian Tighe, PhD, Primary Care Physician, Chair Armenian Medical Association-GB, Professor Olga Ostroumova, PHD, Cardiologist, President of The Russian Medical Society on Arterial Hypertension (RMSAH), Professor Iulia Kotovskaya, PHD, Cardiologist, Russian Clinical and Research Center for Gerontology, Elen Mkhitaryan, PHD, Russian Clinical and Research Center for Gerontology.
Among our Armenian 24 expert-speakers there were such kind of authoritative physicians and scholars like Yerevan's Chief Cardiologist, Director of the Research Institute of Cardiology named after Levon Hovhannisyan Professor Parunak Zelveyan, Co-Chair of Academic Society of Family Medicine Professor Mikael Narimanyan, Urologist, Professor Yervand Harutyunyan, Director of Badalyan Clinic, Oncologist, Professor Grigor Badalyan, Gynecologist, Associate Professor at YSMU Olga Sotskaya etc.
The Congress attracted about 250 participants, among which there were mainly family doctors, therapists, neurologists, cardiologists, oncologists, urologists, clinical pharmacologists, healthcare managers, other specialists and nurses.
The congress was certified by the Ministry of Health and the participants received 12 CME credits, which is quite a big investment to the process of revalidating a medical license.
The Congress was closed with a Gala Dinner and three participants were given a chance to attend it by winning a lottery.
MEDIA ABOUT THE CONGRESS